Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/02/11 14:14, Roland Tarver wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> I have just had a very amusing phone call - at least I thought so. It
>> may be difficult to properly convey what happened via email; but I
>> will try...
>>
>> I took a phone call from an overseas call centre. I assumed it was a
>> sales call. The caller asked, by name, for the previous owner of my
>> house. I advised him that the person he was after no longer lived here
>> and assumed that would be the end of the call...
>>
>> Un-perturbed the caller confirmed that the number he had dialled, was
>> indeed my phone number. He then informed me that my computer had been
>> spreading some sort of malware/virus out on to the internet.
>>
>> At this, my ears pricked up and I started to pay more attention. I
>> again said that the person he was after did not live here any more. He
>> was getting quite insistent and kept trying to maintain a conversation
>> which I felt was already over.
>>
>> Then he said he worked for Microsoft and they had monitored the
>> activity of my computer and were calling to inform me about the
>> malware problem.
>>
>> The thing to stress here, is that this chap had been really very
>> persistent and annoying. I then, proudly, advised him that there was
>> no MS products in my house hold.
>>
>> He asked if i used macs. I said told him that I used linux and his
>> persistance immediately ceased, he surrendered and cited an incorrect
>> phone number. hahahahhahaha! I thought this was very funny at the
>> time. I hope you do too - perhaps it is a "had to be there" situation.
>> lol.
>>
>> He *really* did pick on the wrong house hold! hahaha!
>>
>> Best wishes
>> roly :-)
>>
>> PS - I did wonder if this was some form of scam etc...or if it
>> actually was an MS employee...
>>

> I believe it's a scam, they try and convince you to install some
> 'anti-malware' software which is actually a trojan.
>
> I've heard of a couple of people getting this sort of call, I even believe
> we got one but the wife told them that I deal with the computers in the
> house and I wasn't home.
>
> Best thing to do is hang up.

Yeah, I see that now. In a way, it was lucky that I told him I used
linux, since (i assume) there is no linux trojan (or whatever it is)
version for linux - he gave up and I was safe! lol.

If that were not the case, I would have hoped I would have had
sufficient savvy not to do as he requested in any case. :-)

> Rob

roly