Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On 17/02/11 09:51, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> So, will they mostly work on Linux?
>
> Will they be formatted in something other that EXT3 or 4? And, if so,
> can they easily be reformatted?

1. Mostly they are formatted in Fat32 ,but have existing folders
containing that manufacturers 'back up' systems for MS Dos/Windows ( and
sometimes Mac) Computers. Easilly reformatted nut I recommend you save
the original folders to CD in case you ever want to dispose of external
disc.

2. I use many external discs as I keep one for each company I work for
as their 'work ' back up.

3. If for Linux work only you can format to whatever you please from
your  system, remember the FAT 32 file limit on size if you are backing
up large files to the disc's native FAT 32  file system, but it will if
backed up to Linux format from Linux machine transfer files with
permissions on back up. If you need these readable from another computer
you need to set permissions at 777 before back up for all files copied.

4. I use NTFS for file system where customer's computers use MS Windows
as I can read/write this this on both his machines and my Linux and
Windows systems. I carry the External Hard discs with me on visiting
their premises.

5. PS I generally use ADATA  rubber cased  SH93 discs as these are
coffee /tea proof when in clients offices and will survive a fall from
desk to floor.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald