Re: [LUG] How safe is online banking from a general-use (surfing, email, work etc) linux computer?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 15/02/11 20:06, Gordon Henderson wrote:

What you're "protecting" against is PC bourne viruses, keyloggers,
trojans, etc. If you're sure your PC is free of them, then go ahead and
use your PC...

I also happily use my desktop for my online banking.

My bank authorise all transactions via a card reader, so the main trust
is between the banks web server and my card reader

I wish mine did - (NatWest) They sent me a very nice challenge/response calculator that needs a card & pin to operate... (Any Chip & Pin card it seems, but I don't know if it somehow extract the cards details and uses them in it's calculations too)

However it is only used to setup new payments, so it would be (should be) impossible for someone to get into my bank account, setup a payment to their own bank and make the transaction.

Unless they also had a NatWest card calculator device.. or had stolen mine.

So in theory the worst that could happen is that they get to see my bank details, laugh at my overdraft and that's it.

Let's not forget this though: http://xkcd.com/538/

Gordon