[LUG] How safe is online banking from a general-use (surfing, email, work etc) linux computer?

Hi Folks :-)

I have been trying to advise a colleague about on-line banking and security.

She uses windows XP (I think) on a wireless laptop. She uses the same
PC and same OS to do general day-to-day web surfing, work, email etc
etc.

The following article notes how this is a bad idea:-

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15815/can_ubuntu_save_online_banking

"Nobody seems to think doing online banking from the machine you use
every day for Web surfing and e-mail is a good idea."

I dare say there are many more similar articles out there.

I suggested using a live-linux cd for her banking.

....which got me thinking...

How safe/secure is it to do online banking from a computer where linux
is the default(installed) OS?

Should we too be booting a CD OS?

Many thanks
roly :-)