Re: [LUG] How safe is online banking from a general-use (surfing, email, work etc) linux computer?

On 15/02/11 20:06, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> What you're "protecting" against is PC bourne viruses, keyloggers,
> trojans, etc. If you're sure your PC is free of them, then go ahead and
> use your PC...

I also happily use my desktop for my online banking.

My bank authorise all transactions via a card reader, so the main trust
is between the banks web server and my card reader (given I know the
last four digits of the code are the last four digits of the account
they are going to need a lot of bank accounts and some careful planning
to get at my money that way.

There are other sites that have access to my finances that worry me
more, either because they have my credit card details, or they have some
other facility to access my finances (my broker, Facebook, Google,
GoDaddy, EBay, Paypal (before I shut the account) all present
opportunities to get at my hard earned money.

I don't think in this regard I'm that different from the average user,
possibly I have rather more advertising accounts, and domain names
companies, but EBay and Paypal accounts are pretty widespread.

Brokers are probably a good target because people with an account
clearly have at least some money to invest (In my case not much, but I
still don't want it stolen). Brokers also commonly have access to
client's bank accounts or details so as to transfer money in and out easily.

Ultimately though these things work by a combination of IT security and
real world trust.

Typically if someone uses your account fraudulently to buy high value
camera equipment or other easily saleable goods and gets them shipped to
Nigeria, then you'll likely get the full value refunded and the merchant
will lose out. Thus the merchant's typically bear the risk and take
suitable precautions (delivery of high value items only to the credit
card billing address etc).

So I think the issue is more general Dekstop security rather than
strictly banking. In my case I think it is clear the banks website
presents substantially less risk than many other websites I use. Also
not having an online bank account means someone could impersonate you in
setting it up if they have your bank details, be interesting to see
which is safer - having an account or not having one. I'm guessing if
you have a relative weak postbox (like many Uni halls of residence) then
it is better to have the account and online statements (or get the banks
correspondence sent to an address you trust) than not to have it.

I've never had a problem with Desktop Linux, where as I've seen a lot of
issues with Windows desktops (especially XP). If people were to insist
on using MS Windows, I'd push them to go with Windows 7. But really the
whole Windows Desktop experience, whilst a lot better these days, has a
nasty habit of turning stale quickly.

My sister asked similar questions, and she ended up buying a Mac Mini,
which still works fine and has not had malware to my knowledge, despite
use as a general purpose desktop.