Re: [LUG] Playing flash

On 20/01/11 17:29, george wrote:
> I have a computer that is prone to crashing.  It has a twin core 64 bit AMD
> processor, nothing posh, running Mint Debian.
>
> Using Gnome System monitor to watch the processor and running Iplayer on the
> BBC web site both cores run at near 100% and then Firefox crashes,
> repeatedly.  Running the same thing in Epiphany the cores are still at 100%
> but it doesn't crash.

The computer crashes or just the web browser? What happens when it crashes?

Which memory tests did you run, after discovering DELL hack their memory
test not to exercise the bits of RAM their firmware doesn't reserve
properly (Doh). I don't trust anything but the memtest family,

Firefox is pretty stable in my experience, better with 4beta.

I'd go to 4beta if you want to use Firefox, since it handles Flash
crashing better.

Also is flash right up to date? As Adobe have been improving thing over
the last couple of months on some platforms at least.

If the computer is crashing......

I'd - force fsck on all disks.

Then look at removing hardware till I remove the bit that makes it crash.

Also check seating of all components. And daft things like ensure all
cables and sockets are seated properly, and maybe check the power socket
is good.