Re: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?

On 16/01/11 18:43, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:
> The upstairs corridor that runs the length of the house (55'x16', odd
> long and thin house design) is all up and loosened in order to correct
> electrical faults - and we are wondering whether it is worth running
> fibre optic under the boards at this point to terminate in every room in
> the house.
>
> I don't intend to lift this floor again for the next 20 years! It is
> probably going to be laminated or even tiled due to my daughter's
> serious problem with allergies. So once it is down it is staying down.

The low tech equivalent it to lay nylon string, so that when you do want
to pull a new cable through you don't have to lift up the floor.

Of course each time you pull a cable through be sure to attach another
piece of nylon string (so you don't have to remove the existing cable
each time you add a new one), and if it is complicated arrangement label
the strings.

Check any ducting/ducts for placed cables might snag.