Re: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?

On 16/01/11 20:08, Simon Waters wrote:
On 16/01/11 18:43, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:
The upstairs corridor that runs the length of the house (55'x16', odd
long and thin house design) is all up and loosened in order to correct
electrical faults - and we are wondering whether it is worth running
fibre optic under the boards at this point to terminate in every room in
the house.

I don't intend to lift this floor again for the next 20 years! It is
probably going to be laminated or even tiled due to my daughter's
serious problem with allergies. So once it is down it is staying down.
The low tech equivalent it to lay nylon string, so that when you do want
to pull a new cable through you don't have to lift up the floor.

Of course each time you pull a cable through be sure to attach another
piece of nylon string (so you don't have to remove the existing cable
each time you add a new one), and if it is complicated arrangement label
the strings.

Check any ducting/ducts for placed cables might snag.

That is by far the best option. If you have fibre/cabling you WILL never use it. Its not cobb so wireless will work. If every item has an IP (fridge, photoframe(ugh) etc) then you will be living in a literal web using cable or using wireless for short hops so may as well use wireless? I'd personally put a pullthroughs to drag cable up and down to attic/center of house/stairs and one across each floor
Tom te tom te tom