Re: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?

On 16/01/2011 19:26, BERNARD SHEPPEE wrote:

--- On Sun, 16/1/11, Malcolm Blackmore <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Malcolm Blackmore <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, 16 January, 2011, 18:43

The upstairs corridor that runs the length of the house (55'x16', odd
long and thin house design) is all up and loosened in order to correct
electrical faults - and we are wondering whether it is worth running
fibre optic under the boards at this point to terminate in every room in
the house.

I don't intend to lift this floor again for the next 20 years! It is
probably going to be laminated or even tiled due to my daughter's
serious problem with allergies. So once it is down it is staying down.

How much does it cost per metre for fibre? What size of fibre?

I suspect the killer is the cost of fibre to ethernet conversion box or
thingummy in each room used!

Unfortunately the joists have been really hacked about and due to a
particularly incompent wiring job there is little if any space to run
multiple instances of gigabit wires without touching electric cable,
which can cause eddy currents in twisted pair up to 20 volts and I've
killed a couple of ethernet cards in the past where cables have
touched.

I really don't want to weaken the joists which are carrying the entire
weight of upstairs concrete block walls and the tile roof by drilling
any more holes or cutting any more notches (although every single board
has a notch going across its middle with a wire and a pipe, literally
every one, so there is no room for another set of notches).

It is a "5" bedroom house (most 8x7 boxrooms with a couple used as
studies for us and the kids) and 3 rooms downstairs, all easily
accessible if I don't have to worry about touching electric cabling
which I assume fibre optic will be indifferent to.

Thinking ahead to the convergence of all things being networked over the
next decade and not wanting to run lots of cables around the outside of
the house in trunking, is it crazy to want to run optic into each room
where any conceivable networked device might come into existence (like
monitoring the fridge and central heating or having a camera on the
doorbell interrogated from afar over the 'net!)???

Wireless is so crowded in our small town, within the local vicinity. it
is often not possible to log onto the wireless router.

As an aside can one get better aerials to screw into wireless routers
that pump out more power and literally drown out some of the neighbours
(wireless wars commence eh).

Best wishes and happy new year to everyone
Malcolm
I would suggest that more "future proof" option would be to put in accessible trunking.
The fibre optic spec is almost certain to change in the next 20 years making the cable obsolete.

Bernard.

I wouldn't worry about fibre. For a data network Cat 6 cable would be future proof enough. If you are worried about induction on the
wiring then you put in sheilded Cat 6 in. Cat 6 cable is good for 10Gb network. But a box of sheilded cat 6 will set you back Â190 ish
I've worked a Cat 5 cable run in the same duct with 3 phase power for 200 mtrs and we only saw 5.3V on it. And then we still managed
to run a camera signal on it.
If you dont want to run lots of cabling, then run one cable upstairs to a switch, Then distribute from there