Re: [LUG] Computer recycling

On 9 January 2011 20:39, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/01/11 20:10, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:
>>
>> Darn I just deleted the wrong message from "the noob" who is
>> constructing recycled machines. I freecycled 15 made up out of bits and
>> pieces all running Xubuntu or Puppy and they all went like a shot as
>> people only wanted a wordprocessor, browser and email program and my
>> linux sales pitch along with an unbeatable price meant they bit the
>> hook.
>>
>> To the point: I have 3 Fujitsu P4 2.8-3.0ghz slimlines which are more
>> than just useful but simply don't have ram for them - do you have any of
>> the circa 1994 ram, think it succeeded sdram but can't remember what it
>> is called, or was it that sdram succeeded the early noughties ddr ram,
>> my memory is shot. [What is modern ram called??]
>>
>> There are only 2 slots so the sticks need to be 1gb to make them really
>> useful with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS which these machines have enough cpu grunt
>> to run easily if the programs have a bit of space to scuttle around in.
>>
>> I'd like to keep these to give to the kids to do things on in the new
>> garage conversion dining/kids room, where I have setup up a long desk at
>> one end of the room. They love playing networked games. About time we
>> got something out of all my assembling of donated bits!
>>
>> On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 06:43 -0500, george parker wrote:
>>>
>>> The following link refers to recycling problems in Canada but at the end
>>> there
>>> is a list of recyclers (have I just invented a word?) in the UK, although
>>> the
>>> Bude firm aren't on there.  It must be quite an industry now.
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/04/pc_recycling_is_hard/
>>>

> If there is a little ram in them (64Mb upwards) then you can run a slimline
> linux and do lshw which will tell you what ram is required for the slots
> available...
> Tom te tom te tom
>

> --

The HP 3GHz P4 I built today takes these which were pretty common
around the era of the P4:
DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 800MHz DIMM 240-pin 1.8 volt

But I would recommend downloading and studying the motherboard spec
sheet from the manufacturer's website. That is the only way to be
sure.

Rgds Bjorn
Flying the Penguin banner in Barnstaple