Re: [LUG] torplay centre

On 08/01/11 21:55, Paul Sutton wrote:

I think we are better off doing a demo event to help people with the
installation and then advise as to their needs. but also to demonstrate
what it is we are promoting, e.g ubuntu or which ever. this raises aware
ness of the alternatives.

at that even we could demo how to boot into a live cd only and how to
get out of it, may be obvious but demo anyway so they can safely shut
down remove cd and return to which ever system that are running on their
hard disk,  perhaps do this during the event.

keep it short and to the point, don't cover too much, have a q&a session
and see what people want from any subsequent sessions. e.g install help,
then take it from there.

I'd say maybe a demo session showing them what is in Linux (such as applications they may already use like Firefox and OpenOffice) and show them that they can do the same sort of things as they do on Windows (browse the web, create documents, watch videos, play Facebook games*).

* Facebook games is one a lot of people I know tend to be interested in.

Plus as you say show a Live CD.

Maybe then in another session show the installation as it could be done with Wubi, or it can be done as a dual boot, or replace the OS, and I think that if anyone is still interested they'll come to the second session. I can't help think they might be put off by demoing installations (plus I personally think this should be done one to one as I've found occasionally some hardware just doesn't work (tm).

Rob