Re: [LUG] torplay centre

On 07/01/11 13:20, Guy Backhouse wrote:
>  Can't help but wonder with the amount of hotels in the Torbay area why
> there is the need to pay for a room hire, for example a while ago on
> heading home (near Dunkerswell) after one of the meetings at Paignton I
> called in at the Monkton Court Hotel
> http://www.monktoncourthotel.co.uk/ on the A30 about a mile East of
> Honiton. They were glad to offer a room for free and showed me one that
> would accommodate a group of 12 or maybe more, perhaps free because I
> pointed out those attending would have drinks and maybe snacks.  There
> would be car parking free too.
>  It may be appropriate here to explain my thinking at the time; I am not
> aware of many LUG members in this area but would like to encourage
> others to move over to Ubuntu or any other flavour that interests and
> considered placing an article in the Upottery 'Parish Pump' to see if
> some serious interest could be drummed up amongst a few then it may be
> worth trying to drag some of you capable chaps over this way (we
> contribute to fuel) to help those interested get started and do
> installs. It is unlikely people would be up and properly sorted after
> one session up here and suspect at least 3 would be about right.
>
> wochafink!

Sounds good for a mid devon venue,

Given I can't personally do anything between now and April can I leave
this in your hands,  perhaps looking at the dates we have paignton
meetings and the north devon meet,  that leaves quite a few saturdays
(assuming people want to do saturdays for this) to book something.

I have quite a few Ubuntu cd's and also appreciate that not everyone on
the list supports Ubuntu However my argument is that Ubuntu IS pretty
well supported as a community project, and we know there are members who
can use it,  so support is less of an issue the more local users you have.

lets give it a go,   There are several of these local mini magazines
around so signposting people to the dclug site may also be a good idea,
esp if its directly to the events page.  I think getting things
published in these is pretty easy as they are always looking for content.

I would still support the fund raising idea though it does give us that
breathing space should we want to do a bigger event, and need the
capital to rent somewhere.  or simply buy resources e.g blank cd's

Paul