Re: [LUG] bude recycling place

On 02/01/11 11:02, tom wrote:

64Meg graphics cards for £5 and with luck (they're rearranging at the mo
so cant find their bums with their hands) things like to speed CPU's
taken from old stuff. I've got a 1.7G Athlon XP and sticking a 3200+ in
would make a noticeable difference for £40 ...if they've got one. And
speed up the 1.2G athlon machine to 1.7.....
But they should be useful for spares to make old and nearly retired
machines back and wizzy.

£40 for a 3200+?

You can pick one up on eBay for about 20 quid (which is still a bit steep if you ask me).

One thing to bear in mind is board compatibility. You may find that the chipset on your motherboard isn't compatible with the Barton CPU core.

Same goes for the Athlon 1.2, the board might not like the Athlon XP chip.

I suppose it's always worth a try. I had an old Epox board which had a 1.4Ghz Athlon in there, I whacked in a Duron 1.4Ghz chip (based on the Athlon XP) and it booted and appeared to run but it wasn't entirely stable but did the job.

Rob