Re: [LUG] Possible Linux-based media player?

Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,

Just saw the following on Aldi for next week:
http://uk.aldi.com/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_16758.htm

A bit of digging (and Google translating) and it looks quite likely
that it is a Linux based device:

Interesting. I was looking at something similar last year, I believe they tend to run on a Realtek System On A Chip which is MIPS based (at least the ones I looked at were). Amusingly around the same time eBuyer.com had some cheapo (around 80 quid) Bluray players which were also Linux based. I was tempted to get one of each and try and hack them a bit, alas in the end I just bought a PS3.

I still wouldn't mind getting one of these little boxes though as I bet the consume a lot less power than my PS3 does.

Rob