Re: [LUG] Using a Garmin Forerunner with ANT+ in ubuntu

Got it working with the following ( I have basically cobbled together the below from various individual websites I have located that piece together the issues I have been experiencing)

1. Make ubuntu "see the usb stick" and create the /dev/ttyUSB0

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008

This created the /dev/ttyUSB0

To make the change permanent, you can do

echo "options usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008" >
/etc/modprobe.d/ant-usb2.conf

(do it as root, sudo -s makes you root)

2.I was then able to use (this paired the computer/ant+ stick with the garmin watch)

Open a Terminal for the installation [2]

cd $HOME
wget http://cgit.get-open.com/cgit.cgi/gant/snapshot/gant-master.tar.bz2
tar -xjf gant-master.tar.bz2
cd gant-master
make clean

make

3. First make sure the watch was set to pairing set to yes and enabled set to yes
set your wristwatch in Pairing mode as shown below

Menu > Settings > ANT+Sport > Computer > Pairing > set to On

The wristwatch will ask you whether you want to pair it or not. Also check that,

Menu > Settings > ANT+Sport > Computer > Force send > set to Yes
Menu > Settings > ANT+Sport > Computer > Enabled > set to Yes

4. Pair the ant stick with the watch

Then you have to make you are using the correct version of gant (i.e the one you have downloaded and compiled - make sure you put the ./ infront of the command else you may pickup any other version in your path)

(where name_of_device is a name you give it.. i.e 410 etc the file "auth410" is the shared key created by the command)

This seemed to be wanted to be done as a "non-root" user...

./gant -f name_of_device -a auth410

If you get the error gant: JAVA_HOME not set and cannot find javac to deduce location, please set JAVA_HOME it's because you are picking the gant in your path not the one you have just downloaded.

5. I could then use gant to download the contents of the watch

./gant -nza auth410 > output

This downloaded the .TCX files into my $HOME

On 10 December 2010 21:43, Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:28:29 +0000
Gareth <auxinelectro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gareth,

> Thanks for response, was wondering if I was on my own here :)

It's Friday; anyone with any sense (and no kids) is down the pub.   :-)

> I have the garmin-forerunner-tools installed, I will investigate down
> that route.  For my forerunner there is no direct link into the device

I've not used the tools myself, but it looks as though you run
garmin_save_runs to get the data from the Forerunner, then use the other
garmin_* utilities to process the data in various ways.  The man pages
are short, so it can't be too hard to figure out.   :-)

> itself, it completely relies on the wireless connection between the

Same for the wife's Forerunner (ref direct connection), but hers isn't
wireless.  Hers sits in a cradle that's connected to the USB port, or
via an adapter to the mains.  The latter for when battery charging only
is required.

> usb dongle/stick and the watch itself.  I have seen several posts on
> the web point towards gpsbabel, I will give these a go..

GPSMan & GPSBabel serve slightly different purposes from each other, and
also lack certain useful things that garmin-forerunner-tools has which
are crucial to sports people.

> Thanks again..

You're welcome, Gareth.

--
 Regards  _
Does she always shout at you, does she tell you what to do