Re: [LUG] frabjous day caloo calay

On 06/12/10 15:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, tom wrote:

On 05/12/10 16:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, David Bell wrote:

On Sunday 05 December 2010 12:51:53 tom wrote:

Woke up this morning to find my BB have been upgrade from 512k to (?) 1.5M

My BB (same excellent ISP) has also been upgraded, free of charge from 2Mb to
max 8Mb. Result is about 6.8Mb  download speed.

Your ISP has moved you from a fixed-speed package to a rate adaptive package - very probably because it costs them less to run. It's still the same ISP behind the BT wholesale network handling the data - that's where the real bottleneck is.

Who's the ISP?

Gordon

Namesco. I'm getting 150kbps consistently. Which is just under 3* what I got before. I just doesn't make a useful difference for general use. Pages load fractionally faster - but there's still all that latency with various metric sites and I cant read the top bit of a page fast enough to worry about the rest not having loaded yet.

Not sure I get what you're on about here!
Have a look at groklaw you get massive pages with huge threads that take a long while to load - but most of the time your just reading the top 20 lines of the page and the difference between 512k and 8 gazzilion is purely academical. By metric sites I mean google analytics and the such - sites that slow down overall page loading times but provide no useful content.

Metric sites?

I dont do a lot of downloads and most of what I do do is managed so the fact it only takes 20minutes overnight rather that an hour is neither here nor there. Videos from the Beeb suffer from the beeb bottleneck still - I've seen this on pipes.

Use get_iplayer... And if they give you uncapped bandwidth overnight, then use 'at' or run a cronjob to get them for you...
most of the stuff I probably dont want to look at all the way through - one of the greatest bugbears of the internet is Parkinsons Law applies bigtime. With the beeb stuff I normally have to wait while flash player and the beeb get to talking and then I realise the video I'm watching is 99% padded - a 10 second clip of someone falling in the snow with 5 minutes of studio introduction and 2 minutes of credits - it only takes a few seconds of watching to realise its not worth the effort and get_iplayer just wastes quota. Like pdf files - 4.5meg to read two lines on page 47.

Its nice to have but I wouldnt pay more for it!

That's the biggest issue - no-one wants to pay what it really costs ... ISP margins are
For me as a home user its simply not worth it and I do wonder whether it genuinely improves peoples 'internet experience' or if its not a bit 'must have but dont know why'. OK if I had a few kids playing online games at home it might help but my fear is that it will merely be clogged up by glister with ever decreasing content ratio.
*really* tight and they get screwed tighter all the time by BT. I think it's cirtually impossible for a new ISP to get started these days - not without a wodge of funding from somewhere - who'll want their investment back at some point! My fear is that like what happened to the cable co's, we'll end up with one or 2 mega ISPs with > 90% of the coverage giving 10% of the service )-:
Gordon

Thats capitalism for you.
Tom te tom te tom