Re: [LUG] frabjous day caloo calay

On 05/12/10 16:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, David Bell wrote:

On Sunday 05 December 2010 12:51:53 tom wrote:

Woke up this morning to find my BB have been upgrade from 512k to (?) 1.5M

My BB (same excellent ISP) has also been upgraded, free of charge from 2Mb to
max 8Mb. Result is about 6.8Mb  download speed.

Your ISP has moved you from a fixed-speed package to a rate adaptive package - very probably because it costs them less to run. It's still the same ISP behind the BT wholesale network handling the data - that's where the real bottleneck is.

Who's the ISP?

Gordon

Namesco. I'm getting 150kbps consistently. Which is just under 3* what I got before. I just doesn't make a useful difference for general use. Pages load fractionally faster - but there's still all that latency with various metric sites and I cant read the top bit of a page fast enough to worry about the rest not having loaded yet. I dont do a lot of downloads and most of what I do do is managed so the fact it only takes 20minutes overnight rather that an hour is neither here nor there. Videos from the Beeb suffer from the beeb bottleneck still - I've seen this on pipes.
Its nice to have but I wouldnt pay more for it!
Tom te tom te tom