Re: [LUG] IPv6

On 24/11/10 15:40, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Personally I feel that *we* ought to be hassling our ISPs and demanding
> IPv6 *now* and not next year when we really do run out of IPv4
> addresses...

We've been running out of IPv4 in the next few years for about a decade,
and we will be running out for probably another decade.

Last time I looked ICANN still had something like 14% of the address
space in reserve, it claimed 10% start of this year, but that depends on
what you mean by "unused" - i.e. whether it is a political decision or a
practical one - ignoring bits allocated and unused, or underused.

Note that ICANN isn't accounting for reserves in RIR, that is 14% of all
possible usable blocks are either assigned to dead entities, reserved,
or not yet assigned from ICANN.

I know when one of my previous employers was taken over by one of the
largest UK ISPs, the ISP was pleasantly surprised to find a computer
consultancy with 30 employees had rather more IPv4 space than they did.
Let us say early allocations were "generous" and inefficient, and it
might well be easier to reclaim low hanging fruit here.

> Afterall, IPv6 has only been going for 10 years, so it
> really shouldn't be new to anyone.

Given the number of broadband routers out there with no IPv6 support, it
simply isn't happening for most broadband users.

Do you see any practical benefits? I'm guessing that given most services
you have to use a different URL to get IPv6 version of their website,
and most clients machines are IPv4 only, that even with IPv6 client
network and public addresses the main practical benefit will be no NAT
for SIP to other clients of your own who do the same.

As far as I can see the main practical benefit to me if I replace, or
risk bricking my router (vendor looked blank when I asked for a copy of
the original firmware - "just in case"), is I'll no longer have to
switch IPv6 off to stop some services attempting it or doing IPv6 DNS
lookups when the results won't work on my network. Oh and I'll have to
check the network security in IPv6 (more carefully as NAT does kind of
work as a poor man's firewall).