Re: [LUG] Firestarter on Debian

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mark Evans wrote:

On 10/11/10 15:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:

My typical internet-facing server one looks like:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/firewall

Interesting that you are using a bridge device also
I wasn't aware of anything actually using the IMAP
UDP ports.

Er, as for the latter, me neither - I probably just copy & pasted from something else...

For the former - yes, I use a bridge device in some (most) of my servers now - it's part of the LXC virtualisation - essentially the 'host' system becomes an Ethernet switch with the virtual servers having their eth0's plumbed into it. It seems efficient enough.

Lots of that are probably redundant - I sort of add to it/remove from it as time goes on.... And I have another variant that I use on routers for NAT, etc....

If you're running a SIP server (or want to play with blocking a service depending on an incoming rate), you might want to look at:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/firewall2

however it does need a good processor to handle a full-on flood - that level of deep packet inspection and tracking isn't nice on a weedy processor...

Gordon