Re: [LUG] rsync - I'm getting lazy...

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, tom wrote:

On 08/11/10 12:08, Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:

My concern is whether to use it for things like thunderbird or mysql (I have a laptop that goes out sometimes) or is that just not on - do I have to find some simple 'groupware' for the server for tbird and clustering for mysql?

What are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying to have unified 'user experience'. Use any of the machines and get at the same data. The server is not powerful enough to do anything other than file serving/web proxy/mail server though.

I achieve this by relying on an Internet connection. So my servers and data are always remote, and when I'm away from my desk, I use The Internet to connect to what I need to connect to.

I treat my workstation as a mere terminal - I xterm/ssh into the servers I'm working on most of the time. My laptop(s) are similar.

Imap email ought to be cachable on most clients, so you can look at/compose email when offline, or away from your office.

I do a bit of web/mysql development and at the moment I just copy the 'current' public_html tree and an sqlserver backup to whichever machine I feel like working on via the server but thats a few moments work - and I'm getting lazy so I was thinking that the server could probably handle being a 'master' in rsync .. but then svn might be better but not for the sql...

MySQL databases don't like being copied "live" (although MySQL is good at making sure stuff is on disk and 9 times out of 10 it'll "just work", but you have the "mid-transaction" issues). When I move an existing database to a new server, I shut-down MySQL, do the move, then start it again (on both sides). But of a PITA on a live server though, but it's faster than going through the export/import business.

I can (& do) develop stuff locally, then export it to the remote servers though. Then I will do an export/import for MySQL and a simple scp to get data from home/office server to remote sites. For development that seems to work for me, although a lot of the time I'm working on a copy of the data on the same server it runs on.

Or how about...

Get a Laptop as your primary dev/workstation with a docking station in the office - then you have the same environment wherever you go - just undock the laptop and take it with you...

Gordon