Re: [LUG] rsync - I'm getting lazy...

On 09/11/10 09:39, John wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 12:50 +0000, tom wrote:

I do a bit of web/mysql development  and at the moment I just copy the
'current' public_html tree and an sqlserver backup to whichever machine
I feel like working on via the server but thats a few moments work - and
I'm getting lazy so I was thinking that the server could probably handle
being a 'master' in rsync .. but then svn might be better but not for
Just skimmed the thread so forgive me if I miss something. If they are
all connected on the network and you already do this manually, why not
just pop it into a script and do it from cron ?

Each machine can just grab it from the server throughout the day/night
or as needed?

3 reasons
1) I'm getting lazy
2) Things like databases and mail repositories can get copied 'mid transaction' and the version can be unreadable/unstable. 3) To do it justice cron would have to call the script every 5 minutes or so which would be quite a load on the network - rsync is a bit more intelligent...

Basically I'm looking for something that should have been around 20 years ago and is still not (easily) available - the single sign-on on a viglen box. If it was little more powerful I'd get it running LAMP and then I'd just need to update the laptop when I go out...
Tom te tom te tom