Re: [LUG] Dual Monitors )-:

On 07/11/10 21:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> And isn't PCI graphics s-l-o-w ...

PCI throughput should be adequate, of course the cards themselves are
likely feeble by modern standards.

ATI MACH64 - hmm Google hints maybe hardware support for MPEG-1 full
screen in the early versions (circa 1995) - so perhaps you just need to
re-encode your video in something likely to work ;)

My laptop (recently donated elsewhere) had an ATI MACH64 mumble (rage
something), it plays fullscreen DVD fine, and fullscreen MPEG2 IIRC, but
Flash video kills it because it denies it access to the hardware that
makes the others work. I have a fanless desktop box (not an ATI MACH 64
card) which behaves similarly (DVD and MPEG good, Flash bad).

I suspect if we calculated the carbon footprint increase because Google
use Flash over MPEG2 people would be stunned - but Google won't switch
because Flash is how the adverts are delivered. Presumably Adobe could
design, code, or optimise, to make better use of hardware and X support
if they wanted as well.

> Things that make it works better - *not* using the kernel framebuffer
> devices and not compiling the intel, nvidia, Mach64 drivers into the
> kernel (nor loading them as modules!)

I don't recall the kernel frame buffer EVER being a good idea in
practice, I assumed it was in there to confuse people who read the
documentation.