Re: [LUG] Dual Monitors )-:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So I might give the Riva128 card a final go as it's got 4GB of GRAM on it and it woud be nice to get 1280x1024 on the other monitor...

Well after a bit of a break, I've swapped the ATI card for the nVidia card and it's more or less working fine now.

There is screen corruption when it comes out of screen saver, but a refresh fixes it. I can live with that.

And isn't PCI graphics s-l-o-w ... Actually, it's fine for general use, web browsing, dragging windows round and so on, but it will not play video from youtube at all, neither will mplayer work...

And I now know more about setting up X (again) than I think I need to. I'll probably have forgotten it all in 10 years time when I come to change things again...

Things that make it works better - *not* using the kernel framebuffer devices and not compiling the intel, nvidia, Mach64 drivers into the kernel (nor loading them as modules!)

And I even (re) learned stuff about the fvwm confile files too.

So now I have 2 instances of the window manager, I can switch between them with Alt-1 and Alt-2. (Needed a separate program compiling for that one!) It would be handy to be able to use the mouse, but the fvwm virtual pages get in the way of that. I have 2 fvwm config files, one for each screen.

Now if only the colours were the same - no amount of fiddling with the controls seems be get them to match - ah well. my 'new' monitor is 7 years old, so that might explain it.

Gordon