Re: [LUG] gnu compiler experts anywhere?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gordon - I can make a core file ok but the program only segfaults on a
> release build so there are not many symbols  to be had.
> I'll try the above and see if gdb can tell me where its falling over
> Tom te tom te tom

You probably want to do a build with full release optimisation "-O2"
or "-O3" and full debug symbols "-g3" and any approprate preprocessor
defines to include release/exclude debug code with in your program
itsself. gcc/gdb are pretty smart with optimised code and full debug
although it can be slightly confusing stepping through optimised code.

If its dying optimised then try running valgrid against the original
code in unoptimised debug mode, that will find any buffer overruns or
bad array access that may otherwise not cause a crash due to various
padding but which barfs in a optimised build.

Robin