Re: [LUG] gnu compiler experts anywhere?

On 03/11/10 08:05, tom wrote:

> When I was a lad....
> When one compiles for debug these days the exe file is not the same as
> the running version that crashes hence the difficulty of finding certain
> problems.
> I remember in my youth compiler/linkers making a separate map file that
> could be used by the debugger - can the gnu tools do this?

Don't know, probably, but you can run add debugging to optimised code -
the results are "interesting" at times but works well enough and usually
finds problems caused by over optimistic optimisation. Although one
wonders what sort of code you are feeding it to find bugs these days....

http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gdb/gdb_17.html