Re: [LUG] School file servers

On 28/10/10 16:02, Kai Hendry wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with deploying some sort of file share for
a school? Preferably a UK based 3rd party offers this service, like
"dropbox" or something like that.

Kind regards,

<snip>
On 28 October 2010 15:02, Kai Hendry<hendry@xxxxxx>  wrote:

Hmm, that is really unfortunate you can't use a third party. Is it
because they were not located in the UK?

I really don't recommend running your own server. It's too hard,
especially if you have no experience of Linux.

What are the services you must provide?

* Email
* File server
* Anything else?

Is there any reason why they can't run a server?

Do they need something that use in the school with access from outside the school (say students getting homework etc at home?)

Or is this in addition to existing school servers?

You see if they are going to use something like this in replacement to a server at the school then what do they do if and when the Internet connection goes down?

Now I'm not an expert on school systems, but for ease of use setting something up to use in a school I'd suggest Karoshi which is aimed specifically at schools. It has a Samba server tailored to schools, E-Mail Server, Moodle etc.

I'd suggest taking a look here:

http://karoshi.linuxgfx.co.uk/

When I went to look around a school a couple of months ago they were saying that they had some hosted service from Norway or something which was along the lines of Moodle, but with servers in the school too.

Other schools on the other hand appear to have a Moodle server in the school running over the school Internet connection (at least that way if the Internet connection goes down they can still access stuff from within the school).

Rob