Re: [LUG] is your network secure?

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, John wrote:

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 16:23 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, John wrote:

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 00:01 +0100, Jaan Janesmae wrote:
Hey,

anyone still up for leaving their wifi open?

http://darkreading.com/insiderthreat/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227900742

Sure, but I have an advantage in being in the middle of nowhere with
very little chance of my Wifi being picked up off our property.  If
someone wants to stand on our land to nick wifi; then they have two
things, big brass balls and an impending meeting with some Eley No.
5's ;)

The furthest I've personally established a Wi-Fi connection to a standard
consumer access point (admittedly placed outside) was 6 miles away with an
18db grid antennae. I'm sure at 1 or 2 miles I'll still be invisible to
you with better coverage...

A fair point, were the antennas need at both ends or was the purely the
listening end; if just listening then I am certainly reconsidering
things.

The listening end is also a sending end.

The standard consumer access point (Ok, it was designed to run outside) had a small omni antennae on it, but I don't recall its gain. This was 7 years ago. The grid I was using was about 2 foot by one foot in size and secured to the ground. I'd hope technology has improved since then...

Gordon