Re: [LUG] School file servers

On 28 October 2010 17:18, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there any reason why they can't run a server?

Because I think running a server in a school/office is daft. It's not
there core expertise. A "managed hoster" really should be doing this
properly.

> Do they need something that use in the school with access from outside the
> school (say students getting homework etc at home?)

Yes, that is a requirement.

> You see if they are going to use something like this in replacement to a
> server at the school then what do they do if and when the Internet
> connection goes down?

Technology akin to dropbox (a nice rsyncing client), this "temporary
loss of connectivity" problem could be averted.

> something up to use in a school I'd suggest Karoshi which is aimed
> specifically at schools. ÂIt has a Samba server tailored to schools, E-Mail
> Server, Moodle etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks promising.