Re: [LUG] OT: nuisance calls

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

On 26/10/2010 18:45, Henry Bremridge wrote:
TPS suggest SilentGard

5. Recently I have been receiving silent calls on my telephone. Will
    registering with TPS reduce these?

    Not necessarily. Silent calls are generated from the use of 'automated
diallers'. When these are incorrectly set, more numbers are dialled than
    there are operators available to take the calls. If the purpose of the
    call was to sell you a product or service, then registering on TPS will
    reduce these. However companies use automated diallers for things such
    as debt collection, market research etc. and TPS will not reduce these.
    Please see the Guidance Notes which the Information Commissioner's
    Office have produced - Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC
    Directive) Regulations 2003 and the Ofcom website
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/slentcall

6. How can I reduce the receipt of silent calls?

    There is a separate service called Silent CallGard. You can register
    with them by calling 0844 3722325.

The only website I could find is http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/ but this allows
you to sign out for one year.
I didn't mean silent. I mean the ones who let their systems dial random numbers with some cretin in a callcentre ready to speak to whoever answers.

A lot of them end up silent because the dialler software they're using is broken....

However, this is sort of deliberate - it's a game of statistics - when you're paying someone by the hour then you want to absolutely maximise their work potential, so there is a central "dialler" that dials numbers in anticipation of there being an agent free when the number connects. If done correctly the agent will barely get a few breaths between calls.

Call centres can more or less predict their running costs to the second.

It sucks in more ways than one, but that's what's happening.

I'm also pretty sure recorded telesales calls are illegal in this country, but getting someone to take notice is hard.

So... If you're up to it, then what you need is a Linux box, OpenVox TDM400 card with an FXS and FXO port and plenty of time. You can then play lots of tricks with people - e.g. one thing I did was to recognise a number and them make an outgoung VoIP call to the same company's 0800 number and bridge the 2 together....

Alternatively:

  http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Bit pricey at £99.99 though. (however the OpenVox card is going to cost you that with 2 ports on it)

Gordon