Re: [LUG] November 6th Meeting Cancelled

On 25/10/10 21:27, Tom Brough wrote:
It is with great sadness that I have to announce that the 6th November
meeting planned to take place at Paignton Library has now been
cancelled. It is very unlikely that I will get the council to reverse
its draconian and risk adverse policy on PAT testing. Other than a
change in the "law" as they see it, they will not budge.

Short of civil disobedience Im not sure what the next step is. In my
dreams I have visions of storming Paignton Library with pitch forks and
touches, but I know that isn't going to happen.

I will however write a letter to Adrian Sanders and inform him that this
is going to be a big issue for community groups when then clash with
bureaucratic processes prevalent in public sector. Short of dismantling
HSE regs I'm not sure what will make them budge.

I'm very disappointed in myself for thinking that this was going to be
an easy ride, having worked for the council for 13 years now I do feel
responsible for this outcome. I wanted us to have an option of having a
"classroom" type venue as an option for certain meetings (where training
could be arranged and delivered) however it seems that we are back at
square one.

The only alternative I now see is to form our own CIC (Community
Interest Company) and grab as much funding as possible get formal, get
premises and put out (costed) training.

Tom

Oh well, you tried your best Tom, no one can fault you for that. Heck, no one can fault you at all, it's the council who is at fault.

We'll find a venue, might just take a bit longer.

Rob