Re: [LUG] Large Backups - Advice?

On 12/10/10 01:18, Gibbs wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, really helping.

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 18:57 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
Either way I'm guessing that any changes to files that you'd have
wouldn't run into the hundreds of gigs every night.

That's right. The initial backup would be in the region of 200GB
potentially and I can't imagine exceeding a few hundred megs a day tops
(typically a hell of a lot less).

I want a cheap solution so I think I'm going to go with having a USB
drive and finding a remote location to use rsync and ssh with the server
as acting as a gateway.

With that said what about the initial sync with the server from the
Windows machines? Does rsync work or are there any FLOSS tools for
Windows?

Well you can get rsync and ssh for Windows, saying that if the machines are on the same network as the server then you could just use rsync to transfer the data across, say to a Samba share on the server.

You could even (depending if the machines have Windows XP/7 Pro or Vista Business) setup a scheduled task to run at a certain time to rsync the data across and shut the machines down. Couple this with wakeonlan (get the server to send a wakeonlan magic packet to the machine's MAC address a few minutes before it's scheduled to backup) and you can get it to turn the machines on, backup, maybe even run a defrag or something too and then shut down.

Rob