Re: [LUG] Dial up modems

On 09/10/10 15:03, tom brough wrote:

Hmm the general consensus is that I should keep it for just in case of
Armageddon, however I do wonder if enough of the telephone
infrastructure will still exist to make even a modem operable? Given
that main trunking for the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) is probably
carried down the same digital fibre anyway.

Well the last outage Virgin had in the South West area (that I'm aware of anyway) took down their TV and broadband service for a few hours but the phone still worked fine.

There is probably the plot to a totally unbelievable post Armageddon
survival film where a (unlikely) group of surviving heroic IT bods dust
off their modems in order to co-ordinate world recovery via dial up
modems ... or maybe not.

I do wonder if post Armageddon things like telephone exchanges would still work?

Then again Holywood "Blockbusters" have been made on more flimsy plot
lines than this.

Yep.

Rob