Re: [LUG] Dial up modems

On 09/10/10 13:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, tom brough wrote:
>

>> Mary has just dug out a (not so old) USB ZOOM modem. There are some
>> (commercial / tainted) drivers out there that work (limited without
>> buying a license), however just wondering in this broadband fibre optic
>> / 3G dongle age if anyone really used these types of device any longer,
>> or if they are consigned to the "when I was a young lad" trophy case.
>
> I'd have said there still is a point to them - unless you've got backup
> of some sort (if Internet is that esential to you!). O2 don't have 3G
> coverage where I am at home, so I still have my old USR 56K modem alive
> and kicking... Well it was the last time I blew the dust off it... (And
> a dial-up account to use it with!)
>
> And it's a real modem too - one with an rs232 serial line!
>
> However... What's the best deal on a PAYG 3G dongle these days - it'd
> have to be Three or T-Mobile as those are the only ones that supply 3G
> where I live...
>
> Gordon

Hmm the general consensus is that I should keep it for just in case of
Armageddon, however I do wonder if enough of the telephone
infrastructure will still exist to make even a modem operable? Given
that main trunking for the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) is probably
carried down the same digital fibre anyway.

There is probably the plot to a totally unbelievable post Armageddon
survival film where a (unlikely) group of surviving heroic IT bods dust
off their modems in order to co-ordinate world recovery via dial up
modems ... or maybe not.

Then again Holywood "Blockbusters" have been made on more flimsy plot
lines than this.

Tom.