Re: [LUG] Dial up modems

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 01:17:07PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> Can be useful for faxing if dealing with companies who insist on hard
> copy with a signature.  There are still some around.

It is surprising how many companies accept fax signatures, given how easy
it is to cut and paste a scanned signature. I also find amusing | sad when
companies want a faxed signature but refuse to accept the same document as
a pdf attached to an email. Or alternatively will accept a fax but will not
accept a fax without a signature.

I suppose their argument is that if it came to a Court fight they could
rely on notes of earlier discussions and subsequent actions to "prove"
the agreement was genuine. Or earlier and later emails to prove the same
point.

Interesting story on this point is now breaking in America where some US
banks were somewhat casual about making sure documentation was correctly
completed in the recent mortgage boom. Anyway they seem to be finding now
they now may have no security for their mortgages. Painful.

eg:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/stephen-foley-chaos-in-foreclosure-process-will-buy-time-for-economic-recovery-2101917.html

(needless to say I have yet to come across a UK bank that accepts fax
signatures without me separately confirming in writing that I authorise them
to accept any fax that purports to come from me)

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.