Re: [LUG] Linux in Education Top Ten Myths.....

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:08:32PM +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > > Ok we have all heard the excuses why Linux can't be or shouldn't be
> > > used in education. I'm looking to collect together the top 10 with a
> > > plausible and polite debunk.

> Couldn't come up with sensible rebuttals to these 3.

I don't think there are any sensible reasons why any public sector should
not by default be FLOSS based.

-   There may be programmes that are required that are purchased
-   There may well be an additional need for programmers to "tune" the software
-   There may well be areas that have to run on proprietary software

The biggest problem IMHO is getting people to understand that
-   There is a choice.
-   There are short term switching costs but probable long term cost savings.
-   With FLOSS should come an increase in productivity as staff learn how
    to use software to solve problems. This will have a longer advantage to
    the UK economy.

I see Vince Cable this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11382047
is making a speech about on "City greed and self-interest". Similarly if
you google for "short-term shareholder" there are 7.2m articles. This
non-use of FLOSS in the public sector is another example of short-term
thinking.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.