Re: [LUG] Linux in Education Top Ten Myths.....

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:09:36 +0100
Henry Bremridge wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:24:52PM +0100, tom brough wrote:
> >
> > Ok we have all heard the excuses why Linux can't be or shouldn't be
> > used in education. I'm looking to collect together the top 10 with a
> > plausible and polite debunk.
> >
> > Contributions welcome here.
> >

> Not sure if any of the following are true but:
>
> 1.  Its too difficult to use: Windows is easier
There's no such thing as an "easy" system - even Windows was hard when
you first started learning it.

> 2.  Everyone uses Windows: why make people learn two systems
Not everyone uses Windows.

> 3.  Our printers / whiteboards use Windows
A vast number of printers work 100% with Linux.  A large number of
whiteboards have Linux drivers and software.  Smart Technology (which
seems to be a favourite with Education) have the same major version for
Smart Notebook for Windows (10.6) and Linux (10.4) so you'll even be
able to re-use any Smart Notebooks you may have already created.

> 4.  We share our files / macros with other users running windows
The majority of common file types are accessible from both Windows and
Linux systems.  Macros might be a little more cumbersome.

> 5.  Ofsted / our auditors use windows
So?  As stated above, sharing files with these people should be a piece
of cake.

> 6.  We have bought our software: why do we need to change?
The majority of specific software that you have bought that does not
have a Free Software equivalent can be run under WINE.

> 7.  We're too busy
Tell me that again when you upgrade to the "latest and greatest"
Windows system and are faced with lots of compatibility issues.

> 10. We use xyz program that only runs in windows
Does it "only run in Windows" or does it "only run in a specific
version of Windows"?  Some software that is designed to work with
Windows XP won't work with Windows 7 and requires a special "XP mode"
in order to run.  That is not so different to running said software
using WINE.

> 8.  We don't have anyone who can manage it and our outsourcers only
> handle windows.
> 9.  Whats wrong with Windows?
> 11. Total cost of ownership is cheaper, but no we won't tell our
> reasons.

Couldn't come up with sensible rebuttals to these 3.

Grant.