Re: [LUG] Software Freedom Day

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 20:15 +0100, tom brough wrote:

> To say just because people are apathetic in general its OK to continue
> to be as someone else will pick up the slack for me sounds a lame
> excuse. You can use open source software 364 days of the year and I wont
> disturb you in fact I would be elated, BUT just asking people to give up
> 24 hours (8 hours for the event itself + 16 hours prep during the year)
> doesn't seem to me to be too much to ask in return. Its not like I'm
> asking you to do something you don't do already...

I don't disagree in principle, but you just can't *expect" people to do
it because your own belief is that they should, or that you already do.
I think it actually did not cast the LUG in a very good light to the
(guessing here) many lurkers on the list.

> If you don't want to contribute anything else, or you are busy
> contributing in some other way .... that's fine, but for the one date in
> the calendar that can make a difference, should we not make the effort?

If people want to contribute then they will, sometimes a little gentle
poking is needed for sure, but if they don't then I thought that was ok
too by the community at large.

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/