Re: [LUG] Software Freedom Day

On 19/09/10 19:39, John wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 16:29 +0100, Dan Dart wrote:
>>> Is it not time that the apathy was gone too?
>> Meh.
>
> Hahaha.
>
> As for general apathy. it happens in any group you look at. The school
> PTA, Governers local charity events usually have the same core people
> doing the doing.
>
> I do what bit I can, a rant hasn't made me any more likely to be able to
> do anything on SFD.  I'll just carry on doing what I can, when I can
> within the boundaries I'm lumbered with.  I think that probably goes for
> many people.
>
> Little point steering people to Linux then blowing your lid at them for
> not doing more in the community, is there ?
>
> "Its free, but we want your weekends!"
>
> I don't see it catching on ;)

There are 52 weeks in a year... I ask for one day in one weekend.

Perhaps we could reverse that  statement ... If you don't give up ONE
weekend in the year your software may well no longer be free.....

To say just because people are apathetic in general its OK to continue
to be as someone else will pick up the slack for me sounds a lame
excuse. You can use open source software 364 days of the year and I wont
disturb you in fact I would be elated, BUT just asking people to give up
24 hours (8 hours for the event itself + 16 hours prep during the year)
doesn't seem to me to be too much to ask in return. Its not like I'm
asking you to do something you don't do already...

If your a coder ... come and show people how code is written using open
source tools.

If your an Artist... come and show people how to use open source tools
to create art.....

If your a Musician ... come and show people how you make music with open
source tools.

If you just use email, IM, office tools ... come and show people how you
use those tools in open source.

Simple.....

If you don't want to contribute anything else, or you are busy
contributing in some other way .... that's fine, but for the one date in
the calendar that can make a difference, should we not make the effort?

Tom.