Re: [LUG] Off topic printing problem

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:18:27 +0100
Edwin Rhodes wrote:

> Hi I know this is a Linux group but I have having trouble trying to
> print from a windows 7 system to a hp2420 laser printer I have a
> static ip for the printer, and I have installed the printer drivers
> and ip setting on the windows box, but if I print a test page it gets
> added to the print queue but nothing comes out of the printer, it
> says its offline when the printer is online and I can print from my
> mac, and I cant get it to print from pc, does anyone have any advice
> or tips on how-to solve this problem Ed

When you installed the "printer" under Windows, it *may* have decided
to point itself to either a parallel port device or a USB device.  I
have this issue with our Samsung ML4500 - the Windows "drivers" come
pre-packed in a lovely setup.exe format which automatically installs
the drivers and creates the printer in "Printers and Faxes" but points
it to a parallel port (LPT1).

If you go into "Printers and Faxes", right-click on the printer and
open up the Properties you should find somewhere the details of what
that printer is pointing to.  If it is *not* pointing to an IP address,
then you will need to click on the "add port" button and go through to
add the IP address of the printer.

It's a bit of an arse, but then what do you expect? :D

Grant.