[LUG] Oracle vs Google in the JAVA/Android wars....

I'm sure that most of you are aware that Oracle have brought a suit
against Google for infringement of certain patents in the former Sun
Java portfolio now owned in full by Oracle.

If not the focus seems to be something to do with open source dalvik jvm
engine, although the way that dalvik works is slightly different from
Suns JVM it has (since v 2.00? of android) a JIT (Just in Time) compile
engine which may or may not be where the alleged infringements lie. It
seems that Oracle have timed their suit to have maximum impact on the
Android market, which will probably spread FUD among the investment
community. One can only hope that the Open Handset Alliance doesn't blink.

I don't understand the full specifics but I understand that Oracle are
asking Google to recover all android handsets ? If this is true (I may
have misinterpreted what was being said) I am not sure how Google would
implement the Oracle demand that all units carrying Android be
destroyed, considering the numbers of handsets already out there.

I suspect the tactic on Oracles part is to put the wind up Google and
hope they cough up an out of court settlement. I really hope that Google
don't choose to play to Oracles fiddle. As a java developer (not by
choice but by the pragmatic view that it is the only alternative to .Net
that I am allowed to practice at work) and an Oracle DBA (of sorts) I am
disappointed (but not surprised) that Oracle have taken this stance.

This of course is not doing the open source movement any favours and
ultimately it will damage all open source contributors including Oracle
itself. However a side "benefit" might be that the profile of open
source (and hopefully specifically the GPL license as the only truly
free license) is increased in the public domain. An increased awareness
of open source in the wider community and how it needs protection in
order to benefit consumers rights and drive down development costs etc,
can only be a good thing. There are a lot of Andriod product owners out
there that are unaware of what open source is ... maybe that situation
will be changing very shortly?

Tom.