Re: [LUG] 64 bit

I can definitely notice a large speed boost in 64 bit - mostly when compiling but also system responsiveness. Though that could be because I've been on AMD for the last two (and only two self-built) computers I've had.

On 17 Sep 2010 19:54, "Rob Beard" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17/09/10 12:07, Julian Hall wrote:

> On 17/09/2010 11:07, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>> I am planning to finally upgrade from my two ye...

Do you mean 32-Bit apps on a 64-Bit OS or 32-Bit apps on a 32-Bit OS on a 64-Bit CPU?

Remember, AMD64 is an extension to the IA32 instruction set, it's not as if it's a completely new instruction set (such as IA64).

Personally I've never had any issues running 32-Bit operating systems on either AMD or Intel 64-Bit capable CPUs (although I understand some of the early 64-Bit Pentium 4's might have a few bugs due to Intel cutting corners).

I have had issues on Windows though trying to get 64-Bit codecs.

Speed wise, I haven't noticed a difference between 32-Bit and 64-Bit, if anything 64-Bit Ubuntu was more memory hungry.

Rob