Re: [LUG] 64 bit

 On 17/09/2010 11:07, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I am planning to finally upgrade from my two year old version of Linux. Up to now I have always used 32 bit systems although my computer will handle 64 bit.

I have no interest in gaming so I just do emails, browsing and playing around with digital photos using the Gimp. would there be any advantage in going for 64 bit? Would there be any disadvantages or problems?

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Neil

Aside from the obvious - speed - I've noticed (on Windows 7a anyway, Linux may be better behaved) that 32 bit apps are less stable on a 64 bit system. In a nutshell IMHO you're not getting the best out of the system of you still have a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system.

Julian