Re: [LUG] 64 bit

The only trouble I've had is:
"Can I borrow your Ubuntu?"
"Sure"
"It won't work."
"Oh yeah, you have a P4! You need another version!"

On 17 Sep 2010 19:50, "Rob Beard" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17/09/10 11:07, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I am planning to finally upgrade from my two year old v...

To be honest unless you have 4GB or more memory I'd stick with 32-Bit for now. ÂI'm not sure what the state of play is with Flash on 64-Bit Linux, there was a version of Adobe Flash available but then they pulled it but I believe it's been made available again.

Of course you can run 32-Bit Flash on 32-Bit Firefox but I found it needed some tweaking which was more hassle than it was worth. ÂEven with 4GB Ram you can still use all the memory available if you install a PAE kernel (Ubuntu 32-Bit auto-detects how much memory you have and installs the correct kernel, not sure about other distros but I dare say PAE enabled kernels are available).

In the future I'm sure distros will start to maybe drop 32-Bit versions but personally I don't see it happening for a few years.

Rob (who has been running 64-Bit Ubuntu on and off for the past few years)