Re: [LUG] 64 bit

On 17/09/10 11:07, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I am planning to finally upgrade from my two year old version of Linux.
Up to now I have always used 32 bit systems although my computer will
handle 64 bit.

I have no interest in gaming so I just do emails, browsing and playing
around with digital photos using the Gimp. would there be any advantage
in going for 64 bit? Would there be any disadvantages or problems?

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Neil

To be honest unless you have 4GB or more memory I'd stick with 32-Bit for now. I'm not sure what the state of play is with Flash on 64-Bit Linux, there was a version of Adobe Flash available but then they pulled it but I believe it's been made available again.

Of course you can run 32-Bit Flash on 32-Bit Firefox but I found it needed some tweaking which was more hassle than it was worth. Even with 4GB Ram you can still use all the memory available if you install a PAE kernel (Ubuntu 32-Bit auto-detects how much memory you have and installs the correct kernel, not sure about other distros but I dare say PAE enabled kernels are available).

In the future I'm sure distros will start to maybe drop 32-Bit versions but personally I don't see it happening for a few years.

Rob (who has been running 64-Bit Ubuntu on and off for the past few years)