Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 10:12, Gibbs wrote:

> I had a problem yesterday. A friend (who hates computers) asked if he
> should upgrade to Windows 7 because his laptop was running slow.

The quick answer is simply reformat and reinstall (after suitable
backups and extracting useful settings with the relevant wizard). If it
is running an older version of Windows I doubt Windows 7 will run
faster. However Windows is a master at slowing down with time, registry
fragmentation, disk fragmentation, accumulation of malware and daft
applications. The most amusing of these was the IDE driver which
downgraded disk IO over time if you had a CD drive on the same bus as
the hard drive and played a CD with scratches, all you had to do was
delete the bus from the hardware manager and reboot every so often - who
would ever think of doing that?

Of course if he wants as OS that doesn't need reinstalling as often.....