Re: [LUG] Wireless on debian lenny laptop - help at lug meeting tomorrow

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/08/10 12:09, Roland Tarver wrote:
>>
>> OK. not done that before. How long would you estimate it would take
>> for *me* to do it. I am on holiday in 2 weeks time, so if it takes a
>> lot of effort - I could perhaps do it then.
>
> At this point probably more sensible just to upgrade to Debian Squeeze
> and follow the instructions for Squeeze. Squeeze still has some rough
> edges, but the instructions for making BCM43 cards work are on the wiki
> you've already found, and basically boil down to install the firmware
> tools, install the firmware.

Hi

Sorry for delay. I have not been able to have a look at this problem
again, until now...

Simon, I did what you suggested. I installed Debian Squeeze and
followed the (correct set of) instructions found here:-

http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

Everything installed and went well until step no. 5 (iwconfig). The
output of which is shown below:-

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

pan0      no wireless extensions.

- which is less than optimal i guess lol!

Also, interestingly, the output of lspci has changed to....

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

With complete certainty, it used to be....

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)

I am not sure if this change occured after installing squeeze of after
installing the 2 packages related to the firmware. I suspect the
latter.

I also notice that BCM4321 cards are not yet supported. Apparently :-s
(see link below)

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types

Any further help greatly appreciated. I can post wine, chocolates, usb
pens etc etc lol lol.

Best wishes
roly (with a head ache :-s)