Re: [LUG] Cairo cross compile

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:02:17 +0530 (IST)
Giriprasad Deviprasad <g_pr21@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I am trying to cross compile GTK+ in hawkboard (www.hawkboard.org).

Don't bother. Just use the Emdebian Grip packages, natively built,
binary compatible with Debian but 40% of the size of the Debian package.

Alternatively, build natively on the hawkboard - the board has more
than enough power.

> I have already cross compiled the following successfully for
> hawkboard: atk  fontconfig  freetype  glib  libxml2  pixman

... and that's about all you'll be able to cross-build for any
platform any more.

Maybe in five or six years time when Multiarch is finally working, this
can be revisited but at the moment, don't even go there.

> Now when I try to cross compile cairo, configure gives the following
> error: configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
>           Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try again:
>
> But, I have already installed both freetype and fontconfig for this
> architecture.

Tough. Cairo can't find them and bashing around with paths is just
going to break the build later on.

Been there, done that, got half a dozen T-shirts, mugs and bricked
boards.

> Any ideas why cairo is not cross compiling?

... because it doesn't cross-compile any more. Simple really.

It used to, but only with a few dozen Emdebian patches on top of the
Debian patches and an incredibly complex and fragile cross-building
framework which itself has now ceased to function due to changes
elsewhere.

GTK+2.0 is worse. Even when it does cross-compile, it does not
function. Same with pango. There is no point in cross-building these
things - if you think you can change the functionality of these
packages to reduce dependencies and you are using this as an excuse to
cross-build, you are deluded. Use them natively and put up with it.

I've spent three years working on cross-building infrastructure in
Debian and packages like cairo and Gtk simply don't cross-build in any
useful manner. Accept it and move on. Nothing more to see here.

This is my only post to this thread and I won't respond to queries
off-list. This is the full and unabridged status of cross-building IMHO
and unless you want to duplicate my work (which consisted of around
20-30hrs a week for two and a half years), I advise that you just don't
bother.

If you want sensible advice, use a different list - just not the
Emdebian or cairo lists.

--

Neil Williams
(Embedded Debian cross-building maintainer, developer of Emdebian

http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/
http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/