Re: [LUG] jobs

On 31/08/10 16:27, James Andrews wrote:
The problem with on line job search sites is that they are for job
agencies.  Even the Job Centre Plus site has lots of job agency listings
on it.
The only one I use now is www.cwjobs.co.uk <http://www.cwjobs.co.uk> as
it allows the agency jobs to be filtered out.

Job agencies are not effective if you are looking for work in the west
country plus they are a nuisance once you get on their databases / email
/ phone lists

I've not had major problems, I've contracted on and off for just under 7 years now, okay occasionally I do get the odd offer of contracts around the country (which I'd even be tempted to do if I didn't have a family) and I've found contracting rates are usually pretty good (of course this depends on what you do).

I've found a few contracts in Devon (2nd/3rd line support) and in the past working via agencies has lead on to full time permanent work or offers of permanent work. I find it's a great way of getting your foot in the door. For example earlier on this year I was contracting at the place I am now and they called me out of the blue and offered me further work.

Rob