Re: [LUG] A new Mint PC

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 18:49 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 29/08/10 18:21, kevin wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I have been building a New pc to replace the main machine in the Shop
> >
> > I had Fedora 8 running for 4 years with very few problems...
> > but now it's time to move on so after trying and failing with Fedora 13
> > ( unlucky for some!) I have gone with Mint 9.  So far I have all I need
> > apart from 2 things
> >
> > 1 is Java! I need Sun jre and cant get Alternatives to move to the new
> > jre.  It lists the two but when selecting sun it still has Java SE
> > Runtine and not java-6-sun !:(
>
> Just had a look on Ubuntu, can't find Sun Java in there.  Did a bit more
> searching...
>
> There is default-jre and openjdk-6-jre and if you enable the partner
> repository then you can use sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-plugin etc.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v2bsca
Ive got as far as geting the sun Java and if I do this
shop@shop1 ~ $ sudo update-java-alternatives -v -s java-6-sun
resetting java alternatives
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/bin/appletviewer
to provide /usr/bin/appletviewer (appletviewer) in auto mode.

in verbose mode it gives about 100 lines of similar for each java thingy

then ends with

update-alternatives:
using /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so to
provide /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
(mozilla-javaplugin.so) in manual mode.
shop@shop1 ~ $ sudo java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

 how is this ?

after update and all these statements of replacing one with the other it
still uses the old JRE ?

I may just try and remove SE Runtime and see what happens then

> I'd guess there is a similar repository on Linux Mint too.
>

> > 2 and more pressing is Glables. I use this for my Shop shelf labels
> >

> <snip>
>
> Do you mean GLabels?
yse Dixlexci.

Ive used wget got glabels and the data part and used dpkg ( for the
first time) and now have Glabels!
Thanks
:)

> That's in the Ubuntu Universe repositories so it should be in the Mint
> repositories too.  Sounds like you'll need to enable the equivalent
> repository in Mint.
>
> Rob

Regards

Kevin Lucas