Re: [LUG] Connectors...Re: New Setup Ideas

On 29/08/10 10:33, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, tom wrote:

All this talk of new pc has got me coveting my neighbours AMD...
Rather than shell out for everything I've got a couple of ATX mini-towers and was wondering if I can just drop in a miniATX mboard or do I need new connectors/power supply

Most miniATX boards have standard 20 or 24-way power connectors. New ones will come with a new IO backplate too. There are a small number that take 12V directly, but these are few & far between and it'll be obvious anyway.

My workstation is a miniITX Dual-core Atom board. It has a 24-pin PSU socket, but works OK with a standard 20-pin one. (by design)

Gordon

Talking of miniATX I'm just waiting on some RAM till I can get it up and running (similar setup to Gordon). I plan on running it as a small server but am curious if it will go the distance or isn't recommended.